Friday, March 15, 2013

Another infusion yesterday. The nurse is coming each week to do those. They are getting easier and easier. I still don't like them, but I do like Sally.

So the siblings have been getting tested. I'm not sure who wants their personal information on here so I'll just be general.
2 have ZZ
2 have MZ
1 has MM 

And some of their kids have been tested. We have quite a mix there. One cousin is SZ. So much Mediterranean blood in our family tree. A few cousins have MZ.

With all these tests done we can determine that Grandpa and Grandma Grapes each had MZ. Neither had trouble with their lungs or livers that I know of. It's all that clean living. :)

Sometimes when I think of this it overwhelms me. Just one year ago I didn't even know that alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency existed. Now it is a huge factor in the way Bob and I live our lives. And yes, it sucks sometimes. And it could end up being a factor in other family members' lives. People that I love most in the world.

I am happy that I was healthy while the kids were little and I could chase them around and wrestle with them and carry Amy everywhere. I miss those days. I love my kids.

I'm pretty sad today. I will have to answer questions next time. I wanted to write down and share my feelings of overwhelmation (new word) for our family. We could be the poster family of "Rare Genetic Disease Alpha-1". Fits us in more ways than one. :)

I love you all. Take care.

Aunt DeeDee

1 comment:

  1. DeeDee, I really wish I got an automatic notice when you post. Your posts are always so informative, and I truly appreciate them. I am sorry your family has been touched the way it has, but I am so proud of you and what you have done to inform your family, to get them tested, and to take part in their education about this disease. Please take care, be safe, Your friend Bill

    ReplyDelete